UML broken - runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

From: Adam Nielsen
Date: Mon Feb 15 2010 - 02:07:32 EST

Hi all,

I've been forced to upgrade an old machine running a couple of UML VMs, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make them work on the new machine.

I've compiled the latest kernel from kernel.org with ARCH=um and when I run it says this a few times and then stops:

request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

From Google it appears the cause of this is when you run a 64-bit system with a 32-bit kernel, but I'm running a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit system. I vaguely recall something about IA32 emulation in the normal kernel build, but I can't see anything like that in the UML kernel config.

Does anyone know what might fix this?

Many thanks,
Adam.