Re: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion

From: david
Date: Sun Feb 14 2010 - 16:06:26 EST

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010, Stefan Richter wrote:

Pavel Machek wrote:
[Jean Delvare wrote]
I have an old, slow machine here which I am going to use to perform
some real world testing, and I'll post the results when I'm done. But I
suspect that building a kernel on this machine, even a small one with
just the drivers it needs, will take much longer than unpacking the
sources. So anyone worrying about performance would rather rely on
cross-compilation, and in turn can afford whatever decompression tool
is needed.

On zaurus, kernel compilation takes 4 hours. (I.e. "one night"). So
that one is ... well ... done overnight.

Untar is something I normally wait for, since you need to run
(interactive) oldconfig after that.

If the download takes m minutes and unpacking and unarchiving tar.gz
takes another n minutes, what difference does it make for this workflow
when instead m + p minutes are spent for download + unpacking and
unarchiving tar.bz2 or tar.xz?

The difference is that the user is waiting for the n or m minutes, but goes off and does something else for the p minutes.

So it doesn't really matter if the compile takes 1 hour or 6 hours. As Pavel noted, this is done overnight and it doesn't matter if it gets done at 2am or 6am.

But the uncompression has a user waiting for it (to do the config step), so here it makes a big difference if it takes 6 minutes ot 8 minutes.

David Lang