Re: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Fri Feb 12 2010 - 14:01:32 EST

Jean Delvare wrote:

There are 3881 entries in that directory today,
and it keeps growing!

I can think of several ways to improve the situation here, some of
which could be combined.

1* Keep a single compression format. This saves almost 40% of the
files.

2* Move one of the compression formats somewhere else, so that it
doesn't get in the way but is still available if needed.

3* Create a new subdirectory for every 2.6.x kernel, and move all the
related files there. This would shrink the main index drastically, and
each subdirectory would have a reasonable size (except maybe 2.6.16 and
2.6.27.) Oddly enough this has been done for the files under testing/
already, so I am curious why we don't do it for the release files (and
the testing/incr/ files, while we're at it.)

4* Get rid of the LATEST-IS-* files. This is a small count, won't save
much, but these files seem totally useless to me these days. Depending
on what you want exactly, there are many versions which can be
considered the latest, and there are better ways to know which they are
(for example http://www.eu.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner ). And these
files tend to get stuck so you can't rely on them anyway.

5* Archive all the older 2.6.x files and move them into a separate
directory (e.g. v2.6-pre20). Moving all the pre 2.6.20 files
saves 42% of the file listing.

This seems an obvious solution, what am I missing?

Thanks

Phillip