Re: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Fri Feb 12 2010 - 09:35:33 EST

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:22:35 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> It would also be "just weird" to:
>
> a) require that the end user knows the particular compression format
> used by a particular legacy file.

While we're here... I think it is weird that the testing files for the
latest kernel are in testing/ directly, while the older ones have their
own subdirectory. I have a script which is greatly confused by this,
and I can imagine that other tools (for example ketchup) appreciate
this inconsistency moderately too. It is probably not ideal for mirrors
either... I don't know if the mirroring system is smart enough to deal
with file moves? If not then it generates useless traffic.

So I would like to propose that testing files are placed directly in
their final location. This would be both more consistent and easier
for everyone.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare