Re: LZO irreversible output?

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Mon Feb 08 2010 - 03:31:23 EST

Hi Bill.

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I would hope someone will look at the real problem, though, that LZO
> isn't working properly. I have to assume that either the kernel
> decompress is broken or that the page you have given is invalid, and the
> error lies in the compression.
>
> It doesn't look as if you are doing something wrong, it looks broken.

I did get hold of Richard Purdie and Nitin Gupta, who were the guys in
the know. We discovered that LZO is expecting decomp_size to be
initialised to the amount of available space when the decompression code
is called, so there was a bug in my testing code. Nitin was talking
about sending a patch to the documentation to make this requirement clearer.

That said, the actual code that TuxOnIce uses does already initialise
the variable to PAGE_SIZE, so it seems that I might just have to run
with the checking code enabled (with this fix) for a while, until the
issue is found.

Regards,

Nigel