Re: [Patch 0/2] sysfs: fix s_active lockdep warning

From: Cong Wang
Date: Sun Feb 07 2010 - 22:06:38 EST

Alan Stern wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

Right, so this device stuff is much more complicated than I was led to
believe ;-)

Haven't I told you all along that tree-structured locking is
complicated? :-)

So the device core doesn't know, so how are you guys making sure there
really are no deadlocks hidden in there somewhere?

In the code I've seen, deadlocks are avoided by always taking the locks
in the same order. But who knows? Maybe there _are_ some hidden
deadlocks lurking. For now we can't rely on lockdep to find them,
though, because it gets sidetracked by all the false positives.

This is almost the same with the sysfs case...

Thanks.