Re: SquashFS on ARM9

From: Dick Hollenbeck
Date: Sun Feb 07 2010 - 10:10:24 EST

Phillip Lougher wrote:
On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

The image works OK if I build it with the 32 version of mksquashs on x86 vs x86_64 .

Amazing, there are differences in file format other than endian-ness?

If you've found a difference in filesystems built by mksquashfs on x86
vs x86_64, then it is a *bug*.

So we have at least 3 forms of the file system image now? I am
disappointed. One would have sufficed. I don't even buy the need for
LSbyte vs MSbyte being needed. There should have been only one form of the
FS image.

Ouch, this seems amateurish. Can I assume it is the bitfields? Get rid
of the bitfields!

No need for insults, especially as it is based on an outdated
understanding. Squashfs became fixed endian, and lost the bit-fields
in Squashfs 4.0.

For now I don't need anymore help. Sorry if I burned down my bridge, I only
intend to offer strategy to improve the filesystem.

I like constructive feedback, excessively critical feedback is usually
self-defeating as it generally gets ignored. By saying "Sorry if I
burned down my bridge" means you obviously understand this, and so it
is weird you bothered to send the email.

If you'd like the bug tracked down please raise it on the
squashfs.sourceforge.net bug tracker. Include as much information as
you can including distribution, architecture, Mksquashfs options etc.
It would be best if you can provide a testcase set of source
directories that generate differing Squashfs filesystems on
x86/x86_64.

Phillip

My objection and criticism was based on my perception that *unnecessary risk had been taken* in using the bitfields. I found no easy way to follow continuity of squashfs evolution, no mailing list, history doc, and made some assumptions based on an old LKML posting warning against bitfields. I've been bit by bitfields myself in the past. Typically human, my mistake was the same I was criticizing about, *taking unnecessary risk* when I made the assumptions.

I am sorry Phillip, your work is appreciated, your pay is too low, and you did not deserve this.

Dick