Re: Linux 2.6.33-rc7

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sat Feb 06 2010 - 23:54:56 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
Do people really care about the old-fashioned tar.gz and patch.gz files? I've always uploaded the tar-files and patches compressed with gzip, because that's the "traditional" way, and then we have a script that also re-compresses things as 'bz2' because it compresses better and many people are bandwidth-limited and much prefer the better compression.
..

I prefer the .gz files, despite limited bandwidth here.
My older, slower CPUs cope with them better.

But .bz2-only would be fine as well.

I just wish the GNU tar folk had the sense to combine -z and -j
into a single flag.

-ml