Re: hung bootup with "drm/radeon/kms: move radeon KMS on/offswitch out of staging."

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 12:59:44 EST

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 06:54:45PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> But you could claim that it's not a regression because 1) technically the
> code got introduced in drivers/staging/, and staging drivers are not on the
> regression list 2) the Kconfig value is default-off so it can only harm those
> who got lured by a new Kconfig value popping up in -rc7 in a well working
> driver they already have enabled.
>
> So the moving of driver functionality from drivers/staging/ to drivers/ is a
> grey area it appears. Wouldnt it have been better to do this in the next
> merge window, as all other drivers do? It's not new hardware enablement
> either, it's feature enablement for an existing driver.

The reason the option was in staging (as has been mentioned before) was
because the ABI wasn't felt to be stable enough. Upstream is now willing
to commit to that stability, so now seems as good a time to move it as
any. There's no code change and there's no default configuration change,
so I really can't see any way that it can be classed as a regression.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx