Re: [RFC Patch] net: reserve ports for applications using fixed portnumbers

From: Cong Wang
Date: Wed Feb 03 2010 - 22:20:56 EST

Octavian Purdila wrote:
On Wednesday 03 February 2010 06:30:07 you wrote:

This patch introduces /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_reserved_ports,
it can be used like ip_local_port_range, but this is used to
reserve ports for third-party applications which use fixed
port numbers within ip_local_port_range.

This only affects the applications which call socket functions
like bind(2) with port number 0, to prevent the kernel getting the ports
within the specified range for them. For applications which use fixed
port number, it will have no effects.

It also affects the case where applications do connect, without previously doing bind, right?

Yeah, I forgot to mention this, sorry.

Any comments are welcome.

I think it might be useful to allow setting individual ports as reserved, not only ranges, for example by using a bitmap.

This is a good idea, but I am not sure if this will be overkill? :-/
Also, using bitmap is not friendly to sysctl interface, I am afraid.

Thanks!