Re: port multiplier problem

From: Grant Grundler
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 14:05:31 EST

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Chandra Shekhar Sah <edu4madh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> There are 6 Seagate Barracuda and 6 Hitachi DeskStar.

I thought 0x1095/0x3726 was a Silicon Image part. Can you confirm this?

If it is, this sounds like a broken implementation to me. Here is what
the Silicon Image 3726 Data Sheet says in the introduction:
Silicon Imageâs SiI3726 is 1-to-5 SATA Port Multiplier designed to
provide a high performance link between a single SATA host port and 5
SATA device ports.

So I don't know where the 6th device is getting connected. Some
explanation/data sheet from the HW vendor would be helpful at this
point.

> Seagate Model: ST3750640AS
> Firmware: 3.AAK
>
> Hitachi Model:HDS721075KLA330
> Firmware: Not sure

Both of these drives work behind Sil3726. (First hand experience).

> I have attached pictures of both labels, in case.

Perfect - thanks for posting those.

thanks,
grant