Re: Split 'flush_old_exec' into two functions -221af7f87b97431e3ee21ce4b0e77d5411cf1549

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 13:41:52 EST

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Jason Wessel wrote:

> Add to the afflicted architecture list a ppc64 kernel running 32 bit
> user space apps such as a dynamically linked busybox:

The ppc issue was known - I informed the ppc people before committing, as
they were actually using the same insane trick (along with sparc) that x86
had to work around the bad calling conventions.

So x86, sparc and ppc were actually the main targets of the cleanup, the
powerpc patch just wasn't ready in time. But it's merged now (got a pull
request today), so powerpc should be ok now too (commit 94f28da84:
"powerpc: TIF_ABI_PENDING bit removal").

The microblaze thing is different, exactly because microblaze does _not_
have any of that insane 32-vs-64-bit executable fiddling that this cleanup
was all about. So microblaze I'd have expected to be totally unaffected,
and must be about something else.

Linus