Re: [patch 2/3] scheduler: add full memory barriers upon task switchat runqueue lock/unlock

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 12:35:30 EST

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:48 -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>
> > What we have to be careful about here is that it's not enough to just
> > rely on switch_mm() containing a memory barrier. What we really need to
> > enforce is that switch_mm() issues memory barriers both _before_ and
> > _after_ mm_cpumask modification. The "after" part is usually dealt with
> > by the TLB context switch, but the "before" part usually isn't.
>
> Then we add a smp_mb__before_clear_bit() in the switch_mm() on all archs
> that do not have clear_bit imply a smp_mb().

No. I want to get an _explanation_ first.

And no, "I want to do user-level RCU and I'm looking at mm_cpumask" is not
an explanation.

In order to explain memory ordering rules, you need to actually show the
actual accesses on the different cpu's and the ordering requirements
between them, and explain them. IOW, you need to show

thread1 thread2
------- -------

some-particular-memop
mm_cpumask access
memory barrier
memory barrier
mm_cpumask access
some-particular-memop
memory barrier

some-other-particular-memop

and explain exactly why the memory barriers are needed.

In particular, now I've heard the INSANE statement that we need

"memory barriers both _before_ and _after_ mm_cpumask modification."

and people need to realize that such statements are totally worthless.

The fact is, a memory barrier with regards to a single location
modification makes no sense. Not before, not after. Putting a barrier
around a single access (even if that "single" access is then a
read-modify-read one) is a meaningless operation - it has _zero_ semantic
information.

Memory barriers need to be _between_ two operations, and even then they
never make sense on their own - you need to have another actor that also
has a memory barrier, and that you are ordering things with regards to.

Saying that they are "around" one operation is crazy talk. It's a
nonsensical statement. It shows a total lack of understanding of what a
barrier is about. You can't put a barrier 'around' anything at all.

So before we go any further, I want to see the graph of barriers AND THE
THINGS THEY ARE BARRIERS BETWEEN. On both sides. I want to know that you
guys even know _what_ you are protecting against, and I want it documented
so that when people say "this would solve it", they can show that yes, you
actually need barriers at both points.

Linus