Re: inodes: Support generic defragmentation

From: tytso
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 08:48:39 EST

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:17:02AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> On the other hand I would like to keep the option to be more aggressive
> for soft page offlining where it's useful and nobody cares about
> the cost.

I'm not sure I understand what the goals are for "soft page
offlining". Can you say a bit more about that?

> Or the "let's add a updatedb" hint approach has the problem that
> it won't cover a lot of other programs (as Linus always points out
> these new interfaces rarely actually get used)

Sure, but the number of programs that scan all of the files in a file
system and would need this sort of hint are actually pretty small.
Uptdatedb and backup programs are pretty much about it.

- Ted