Re: Changelog quality

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Wed Jan 13 2010 - 13:23:25 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> BTW Personally I see nothing wrong with too verbose commit changelogs,
> too sparse changelogs are a much bigger annoyance..

Verbosity on its own does not ensure that the important bits happen to
be in the log though.

If somebody is deliberately verbose, please structure the message so
that the important bits can still be quickly spotted. (Don't waste
people's time.)

However, a submission which can be adequately changelogged by one or two
lines, coupled with something like 30 lines of "and here is the script
that generated it for me" is just plain strange. How is that fitting
for the final immutable history? It's just noise.
--
Stefan Richter