Re: introduce NMI_AUTO as nmi_watchdog option

From: Don Zickus
Date: Mon Jan 11 2010 - 15:34:15 EST

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:27:29PM +0300, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:16:33PM -0500, Don Zickus wrote:
> > Hi Ingo,

> > I was going to jump in and try to do this work. I wanted to make sure
> > what you were looking for here. When you say convert nmi watchdog to perf
> > events, I assume you mean merging over the bits of perfctr-watchdog.c to
> > perf_events.c, modify nmi.c to just register as a normal perf event and
> > probably cleanup the oprofile stuff to match, correct?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Don
> >

> As far as I know -- converting perfctr-watchdog.c to into perfevents
> style would be quite a desirable feature. But I still didn't manage to
> find time for this task :( If you're interested to start this work
> -- that would be just great!

After looking through the code I just had some questions, perhaps you have
thought about this longer than me, what to do with the reservation code
(just remove it I assume and let perf_events _be_ the only code that
handles perf events) and what to do with some of the cpu quirks as noted
in perfctr-watchdog.c (notable some of the Intel errata for the Core
chipsets).

Cheers,
Don