Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng v2.17 (stable)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 11 2010 - 11:53:35 EST

On 01/11/2010 06:05 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
On Fri 2010-01-08 13:43:47, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 01/08/2010 01:33 AM, Karel Zak wrote:

fdisk:
- the fdisk command aligns newly created partitions to minimum_io_size
boundary ("minimum_io_size" is physical sector size or stripe chunk
size on RAIDs).

- the fdisk command supports disks with alignment_offset now.

I think we should align, by default, much more aggressively than that --
because frequently we just don't know what the real physical alignment
is (think of flash media, which uses large erase blocks underneath.)

Flash has special mapping layer, and does not care (SD/MMC), or is a
raw nand and can't be used as block device (smartmedia).

Uhm, that's just plain wrong.

It doesn't matter if there is a "special mapping layer" -- if you're crossing multiple erase blocks you're still having more churn in your flash translation layer, with more wear on the device, and lower performance than if you didn't.

-hpa