Re: Linux Serial Performance

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 14:52:17 EST

* Paul G. Allen (pgallen@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Well, as far as I know. Same code on both systems. The embedded device
> operates at 115200, 8N1, no flow control. It uses RPC/SLIP protocol
> for commands and data. They talk to each other, but the Linux system
> just takes forever to send the data.

What does the RPC/SLIP - the app or the Kernel?

If you have no flow control is it possible that someone is dropping a byte
somewhere any recovering?

If your device is set at the right speed (check with stty -a < /dev/ttyS??? )
then what speed does :

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ttyS??? bs=1 count=10000

show, for my line set at 9k6 (on ttyS0) it's showing 1.0kB/s which
seems about right.

What's the serial card - is it an onboard card or a PCI plug in,
I've seen problems on Linux a few times where the device driver
has the speed of some plugin cards out by a factor of 8.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /