Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] 2.6.33-rc2: regression: gkrellm no longershows all the temperatures on thinkpad x60

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 08:59:36 EST

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Please apply the latest stack of patches (sent them to acpi-test
> > > yesterday).
> > >
> > > It is failing to register the ALSA mixer for some reason, and due
> > > to a bug, it is not loading the module at all. I will look at the reason it
> > > is failing to register the ALSA mixer soon. Meanwhile, the patches I sent
> > > to Len make sure the module can still load sucessfully.
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure its completely fixed. I got this in my syslog:
> >
> > thinkpad_acpi: THERMAL EMERGENCY: a sensor reports something is
> > extremely hot!
> > thinkpad_acpi: temperatures (Celsius): 95 47 N/A 89 47 N/A 41 N/A 51
> > 61 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
>
> And the extremely hot sensor is that 89°C, which is the GPU I think (varies
> from thinkpad to thinkpad). That is not normal, and I'd say it needs
> repair, probably a badly seated heatsink or failed thermal interface
> compound.

Hmm... come to think of it, the CPU is also quite hot (95°C), and it usually
shares the heatsink system with the GPU/north bridge, so the problem might
be on the CPU side of things.

While it can easily be a hardware problem in the heatsink, we could also
have a screwed up ACPI thermal control in our hands once again (either
kernel bug, or bogus ACPI firmware in the laptop).

Henrique Holschuh