Re: mmotm 2010-01-06-14-34 uploaded (squashfs+lib/decomp)

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Jan 08 2010 - 01:56:04 EST

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:04:02 PST, Randy Dunlap said:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:01:47 -0500 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:48:16 EST, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx said:
> >
> > > Building with CONFIG_SQUASHFS=m, CONFIG_SQUASHFS_LZMA=y ,
> > > and CONFIG_DECOMPRESS_LZMA=n fails:
> >
> > > Looks like a missing select/depends for DECOMPRESS_LZMA. Somebody else can
> > > decide which it should be...
> >
> > Digging further:
> >
> > x Symbol: DECOMPRESS_LZMA [=n] x
> > x Selected by: RD_LZMA [=n] && BLK_DEV_INITRD [=y] || SQUASHFS_LZMA [=y x
> >
> > How the heck did this happen? Looks like a SELECT *is* there but it's
> > not firing??!?
>
> I saw this build error in linux-next and sent a patch for it -- it's below.
> However, it doesn't appear to be exactly the same config as yours.

Yeah, that patch is how you ended up cc'ed - it was already in the linux-next
patch in Andrew's -mmotm tarball. It looked like you addressed one corner case
of the problem, and I tripped over another. But now I'm trying to get my
brain wrapped around how I was able to get SQUASHFS_LZMA=y, and it had a
select for DECOMPRESS_LZMA, but that *still* was 'n' anyhow? How did we end
up with both && and || in that 'Selected by:' line? Is that saying that
RD_LZMA needs to be on too?

Adding some plausible-sounding kbuild-related entries from MAINTAINERS to
the cc: list, maybe they can explain it...