Re: RFC: disablenetwork facility. (v4)

From: Michael Stone
Date: Sun Dec 27 2009 - 11:34:14 EST

Serge Hallyn writes:
Michael Stone writes:
The first reason why I'm not too worried is that anyone in a position to use
disablenetwork for nefarious purposes is also probably able to use ptrace(),
kill(), and/or LD_PRELOAD to similar ends.

How do you mean?

I meant that, with the current interface, to set disablenetwork for pid P, you
have either be pid P or to have been one of P's ancestors. In either case, you
have lots of opportunity to mess with P's environment.

I thought that disabling network was a completely
unprivileged operation? And subsequently executing a setuid-root
application won't reset the flag.

Correct and correct for the current patches.

The second reason why I'm not too worried is that I believe it to be
straightforward to use the pre-existing MAC frameworks to prevent individually
important processes from dropping networking privileges.

Do you have a specific concern in mind not addressed by either of these
observations?

Near as I can tell the worst one could do would be to prevent remote
admins from getting useful audit messages, which could give you unlimited
time to keep re-trying the server, on your quest to a brute-force attack
of some sort, i.e. restarting the server with random passwords, and now
no audit msg about the wrong password gets generated, so you're free to
exhaust the space of valid passwords.

Not saying I'm all that worried about it - just something that came to
mind.

I'll think about it further. Fortunately, there's no need to be hasty. :)

Michael