Re: 2.6.32 regression: unable to handle kernel paging request

From: Tim Blechmann
Date: Thu Dec 24 2009 - 07:07:54 EST

removing module-common.lds from LDFLAGS_MODULE, my machine boots fine
and without any error messages:

Looks like some necessary part of module image ends up in discarded
sections. Before the commit, the build process kept those sections so
it worked. The code has been there for some time now and you're the
first one to report it, so I suppose your .config is a bit different
from more usual ones. Can you please attach it?

it is not too different ... it is based on the .config file of the
ubuntu kernel with a few tweaks ...
one odd thing is, that i once was able to boot 2.6.32-rcX kernels, at
one point, i kept getting these bug messages ... i didn't (knowingly)
change the configuration, though ...

Hmmm... weirdly I can't reproduce the problem here with the same
config. Can you please attach "readelf -a lp.ko" with and without the
module-common.lds struck out?

as i said before, the configuration is not really uncommon ... the
readelf output is attached.

Hmmm.... I think it's more convoluted than I originally thought. I
was expecting a missing section but in the broken case the linker has
assigned addresses to sections even though it was a relocatable link.
That's just strange.

Can you please post the output of "ld --version"? Also, what distro
are you on?

i am not at that specific machine, but the distribution is the same as on my laptop, ubuntu 9.10, x86-64. i don't have any issues, running 2.6.32.2 on my laptop, though ...

GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20

hth, tim

--
tim@xxxxxxxxxx
http://tim.klingt.org

Bill Gates left his university to start Micro$oft.
Steve Jobs sold his Wolkswagen bus to start Apple.
Linus Torvalds made a new thread in a forum and put a file on a ftp server.