Re: workqueue thing

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Dec 23 2009 - 03:47:39 EST

Hello,

On 12/23/2009 05:37 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> Sure, fair enough but there's also a different side. It'll allow much
>> easier implementation of things like in-kernel media presence polling (I
>> have some code for this but it's still just forming) and per-device. It
>> gives a much easier tool to extract concurrency and thus opens up new
>> possibilities.
>>
>> So, anyways, alright, I'll go try some conversions.
>
> Well, but note that you are again talking performance. Concurrency
> _IS_ performance: either in terms of reduced IO/app/request latency
> or in terms of CPU utilization.

I wasn't talking about performance above. Easiness or flexibility to
extract concurrency opens up possibilities for new things or easier
ways of doing things. It affects the design process. You don't have
to jump through hoops for concurrency management and removing that
restriction results in lower amount of convolution and simplifies
design.

Thanks.

--
tejun