Re: [Patch] thinkpad_acpi: fix a build error

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 14:39:12 EST

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> > > Indeed. Ingo already fixed that too.
> > >
> > > Although I personally would prefer:
> > > select SOUND
> > > select SND
> > >
> > > But anything that stops the build errors will do for now.
> >
> > I still haven't seen this patch in Linus' tree. And you do need select
> > SOUND and SND. Otherwise you still get build errors. I have tested this
> > on my machine. So can someone please submit a proper patch to get this
> > fixed.
>
> Ugh. Please don't 'select' to build an entire subsystem.

I won't in this case. I think I will cook up a patch to disable the entire
mixer subsystem in thinkpad-acpi if CONFIG_SND is not available. I don't
like the depends on SND though.

As for select an entire subsystem, sorry, but I already do that for stuff
like input and backlight. Depends is a real CRAP for the user interface in
the case of platform drivers like thinkpad-acpi.

If we could get a depends-no-hide thing, that would not cause drivers to
simply disappear from the config interface without a trace, then maybe I
would have no reason for selects.

Henrique Holschuh