Re: [Fdutils] DMA cache consistency bug introduced in 2.6.28 (Was:Re: Cannot format floppies under kernel 2.6.*?)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 15:16:20 EST

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Mark Hounschell wrote:

> It looks like I may have to back up and first find the points that, let me,
> and stop me, booting with the HPET enabled. Before I change direction, can
> the git-bisect start sequence use the SHA1 id for the starting 'goods' and
> 'bads'? I don't see reference to that in the doc.

You can always use a SHA1 id instead of a tag. So when you did

git bisect good v2.6.17.4

you could always have replaced that "v2.6.17.4" with the SHA1 of the
commit.

In git, the SHA1 ID's are the "real" names - the tags and branch names are
purely for human-readable decoration. Git always turns them into SHA1 id's
internally.

Linus