Re: Unable to format or use floppies since 2.6.28

From: Dan Carpenter
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 03:30:46 EST

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:46:15PM -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> I have many boxes. They all do the same thing. Running different
> versions of SuSE, 10.3-11.2. Any kernel at or above 2.6.28 fails to
> fdformat a floppy. These same machines, using the same floppies and
> drives, running kernels older than 2.6.28 work just fine. I googled
> and found other such reports but no solution. I know better than to
> just assume it's a kernel bug but it sure looks like it could be so
> I'm inquiring about it here.

I don't know if this is related to your bug, but it's a weirdness in
floppy.c (from 2.6.32-rc8 sorry I suck for being up to date).

drivers/block/floppy.c
2532 size = blk_rq_cur_bytes(current_req);
2533
2534 rq_for_each_segment(bv, current_req, iter) {
2535 if (!remaining)
2536 break;
2537
2538 size = bv->bv_len;

We never use the first size = blk_rq_cur_bytes() assignment.

regards,
dan carpenter