Re: CONFIG_KPROBES=y build requires gawk

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 22:31:43 EST

Roland Dreier wrote:
> Is there any reason not to apply the patch below, to allow more awk
> implementations to be used? After all, it's not like we're going to put
> non-ASCII characters into the map file...

Actually, the reason why I decided to use character classes is
[a-z] wasn't same as [[:lower:]] on some environment.

For example, before the POSIX standard, to match alphanumeric charac-
ters, you would have had to write /[A-Za-z0-9]/. If your character set
had other alphabetic characters in it, this would not match them, and
if your character set collated differently from ASCII, this might not
even match the ASCII alphanumeric characters. With the POSIX character
classes, you can write /[[:alnum:]]/, and this matches the alphabetic
and numeric characters in your character set, no matter what it is.

It seems that "your character set" doesn't mean "what character set are used
in the data", it means "what character set build env. is using".

So, actually, my first released script had used [a-z], but I needed to
move onto [[:lower:]].

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx