Re: [this_cpu_xx V7 1/8] this_cpu_ops: page allocator conversion

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 19:22:30 EST

Hello,

On 12/16/2009 11:55 PM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>>> The boot pageset initialization was moved into __build_all_zonelists(). We
>>> could move the zone->pageset initialization there too?
>>
>> Maybe that is a bit less scary. (at least for me :-) The reason why
>
> Wel sorry moving the ->pageset assign to __build_all_zonelists does not
> work since __build_all_zonelists does not scan through
> zones. zone_pcp_init is called reliable first for all zones. I think just
> leave it at is.

Ah, well, alright.

>> I'm a bit worried is that different architectures handle percpu
>> pointers differently before setup_per_cpu_areas(). x86 sets up the
>> offsets and stuff such that cpu0 can access the original percpu
>> section in the kernel image. ia64 sets up everything properly way
>> before setup_per_cpu_areas() and in some archs percpu pointers are
>> completely invalid before setup_per_cpu_areas(). So, percpu pointer
>> being handled in generic code which is being called before percpu
>> setup is a bit worrying.
>
> True but we are not dereferencing a per cpu pointer here. It is simply the
> assignment of the unreferenced native per cpu address generated by the
> linker. This address is unaffected by allocator bootstrap.

Yeap, the code is fine. Probably I'm just being a bit paranoid. If
you don't mind, can you please add a comment pointing out that the
percpu pointer isn't dereferenced before later initialization is done
which happens after percpu initialization?

> The assignment of the final per cpu areas (dynamically allocated) occurs
> after all the other memory allocators have been bootstrapped.

Great, thanks for the explanation.

--
tejun