Re: 2.6.32-git5+, CONFIG_WEXT_PRIV and Broadcom's driver for BCM4322 Wireless chips

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Sun Dec 13 2009 - 08:36:38 EST

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 16:40 +0100, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
>
>> But: what is the best option here to make CONFIG_WEXT_PRIV visible at
>>  kernel build time if only an external module should select it - but selection
>>  is not actually happening at kernel build time ?
>> Could CONFIG_WEXT_PRIV be made a separate user-selectable option ?
>
> Your only option is selecting some other (ancient) driver that selects
> WEXT_PRIV. We will not make that Kconfig symbol visible just because
> Broadcom decided that they want to continue screwing their users :)
>
> IOW -- there's no such option available to you at all. Select
> PCMCIA_RAYCS or whatever.

Thanks - you clipped the part of my message where I explain that my
"workaround" has been to select IPW2200 :)

I'm aware of the implications of out-of-tree proprietary drivers, I just
wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a better option than the one
I resorted to.

Thanks again,

--alessandro

"There's always a siren singing you to shipwreck"

(Radiohead, "There There")