Re: [git pull] drm

From: Will Dyson
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 15:35:35 EST

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Pekka Paalanen <pq@xxxxxx> wrote:

> The big question is what we call ctxprogs: binary blobs that are
> clearly executable, running somewhere in the GPU. No-one seems
> to know, if those are copyrightable, or if they can be redistributed.
> In their current form, they have been recorded from the nvidia
> proprietary driver using mmiotrace, and copied verbatim for each
> card type.
>
> Would you be willing to pull that kind of stuff into Linux?
>
> I would not even dare sending them to the Linux firmware
> repository, since they have some license requirements, too.

This seems similar to the unfortunate situation with the b43 wireless
card firmware. Broadcom refuses to provide the firmware under a
redistributable license (or even as files separate from their
proprietary drivers). This did not stop b43 from being included in
Linux. Distributions have dealt with it by providing a script that
downloads the proprietary driver and extracts the firmware from it to
files in /lib/firmware.

Do you think that a similar solution for nouveau would be legally
problematic? Or is the issue technical, since you mention that the
ctxprogs were obtained by mmiotrace, instead of a more straightforward
extraction from the binary driver blobs?

--
Will Dyson