Re: cxacru usb_bulk_msg() firmware upload 36x slower with OHCI vs.UHCI

From: Alan Stern
Date: Sun Nov 22 2009 - 17:18:00 EST

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Simon Arlott wrote:

> I've tried sending 64 and 2048 bytes at a time, with the same speed
> (4ms and 128ms), so that time is just a coincidence.

These timings indicate that one packet is getting transmitted every 4
frames. In theory the slowness could be caused by either the host
controller or the device, but you'd need a bus analyzer to tell which.
Certainly there's no good reason for the controller to run that slowly,
but there's also no good reason for the device to run that slowly only
with OHCI.

> Submitting it all as multiple asynchronous URBs in one go doesn't help
> either. I've been trying to get EHCI working too (via two different
> high speed hubs) but that's not working even if I add long delays.

Have you tried using a non-high-speed hub, or forcing the port into
full speed and adding a hub? That is, does the presence of a hub with
OHCI make any difference?

Alan Stern