Kernel compilation Question

From: Balaji Ravindran
Date: Sat Nov 21 2009 - 12:42:06 EST

Hi all,

I tried compiling the wireless 2.6 kernel on my debian machine using
make-kpkg and being lazy, i just did make defconfig, and saw that my
compilation went fine without any issues, but i noticed that there was
no ramdisk image that was generated when i installed the linux-image*.deb.

i did use --initrd option,

Was it because, using make defconfig compiles everything on the kernel
itself? Aren't there any 'm' option in defaults?(dunno just asking if
this is the case)

or did i miss something out

Please see if i missed some step

Summary of steps performed.

extracted wireless 2.6 source onto /usr/src

created symbolic link

make defconfig (i did not copy my existing config file to .config, i
just wanted to try out make defconfig option)

make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=foo --revision=bar kernel_image
modules_image kernel_headers

this created 2 files linux-image* and linux-headers*, i was missing the
modules image also(but that was a second question)

did dpkg -i linux-image*

updated grub and placed files in /boot, but did not create initrd image.
Why is that?

Thanks

Balaji R