Re: O_NOATIME and files in /proc

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 16:37:35 EST

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:06:29 +0100
Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Is there a specific reason that open can not open files (at
> least /proc/noatime and /proc/cpuinfo) under /proc with NO_ATIME as the
> following program shows:
> ---- snip ----
> {12}cat noatime.c
>
> #define _GNU_SOURCE
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <errno.h>
> #include <fcntl.h>
>
> int main(void)
> {
> int fd = open("/proc/uptime", O_RDONLY|O_NOATIME);
> if (fd == -1) {
> printf("fd=%d, errno=%s\n", fd, strerror(errno));
> } else {
> printf("fd=%d\n", fd);
> }
> return 0;
> }
> ---- snip ----
> When I compile and run it, it prints
> ---- snip ----
> {13}./noatime
> fd=-1, errno=Operation not permitted
> ---- snip ----
> Removing the "NO_ATIME" makes it work (of course).
>
> I can also set the "noatime" mount flag on a remount and it shows up
> in /proc/mounts but it makes for the above no difference.

I guess you're hitting the check in may_open():

/* O_NOATIME can only be set by the owner or superuser */
if (flag & O_NOATIME)
if (!is_owner_or_cap(inode)) {
error = -EPERM;
goto err_out;
}

This code was added in 2004 and neither the changelog nor the code
comment explain _why_ this was done (bad). It might be recorded in the
contemporary email discussion.

I assume it was done this way under the assumption that people might
want to use atime to determine if other users have been peeking at
their junk. Avoid permitting junk-peekers to conceal their tracks.