Re: A generic kernel compatibilty code

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 16:16:48 EST

Hi Luis,

Em Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:45:51 -0800
"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Everyone and their mother reinvents the wheel when it comes to
> backporting kernel modules. It a painful job and it seems to me an
> alternative is possible. If we can write generic compatibilty code for
> a new routine introduced on the next kernel how about just merging it
> to the kernel under some generic compat module. This would be
> completey ignored by everyone using the stable kernel but can be
> copied by anyone doing backport work.
>
> So I'm thinking something as simple as a generic compat/comat.ko with
> compat-2.6.32.[ch] files.
>
> We've already backported everything needed for wireless drivers under
> compat-wireless under this format down to even 2.6.25. I volunteer to
> be the sucker for this if this is reasonable and given the shot to try
> it.

We have several backport stuff at our development tree, that works for
V4L/DVB up to kernel 2.6.16 (so, up to RHEL5).

It is based on a compat.h file, plus some extra tests inside the drivers.
They are at:
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

I also started working on a different approach of dynamically patching the
drivers based on some semantic rules, parsed in perl, but I hadn't enough
time to finish.

If you want to take a look, it is at:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/backport/

Cheers,