Re: Problems building 2.6.31.6 with 64bit Fedora-11

From: Reg Clemens
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 12:51:31 EST

I sent this message to the list yesterday, but it never appeared,
Probably a side effect of my new Fedora-11 install. In any case
here is another try. The question is about a failue of a build
of linux 2.6.31.6 on a 64bit Pentium 4.

---

> What arch are you building on?

a 64bit Pentium 4.

> What does 'file' say about the bad object files?

A File shows:

reg@deneb kernel]$ file *.o
microcode.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped
microcode_amd.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped
microcode_core.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped
microcode_intel.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped
test_nx.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped

while nm shows

[reg@deneb kernel]$ nm *.o
nm: microcode.o: File format not recognized
nm: microcode_amd.o: File format not recognized
nm: microcode_core.o: File format not recognized
nm: microcode_intel.o: File format not recognized
nm: test_nx.o: File format not recognized

Almost looks like the wrong version of nm, but Im sure someone
out there will have a better idea.

--
Reg.Clemens
reg@xxxxxxx