Re: BUG: GCC-4.4.x changes the function frame on some functions

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 19 2009 - 12:41:56 EST

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> standard function start:
>
> push %ebp
> mov %esp, %ebp
> call mcount
>
> modified function start on a handful of functions only seen with gcc
> 4.4.x on x86 32 bit:
>
> push %edi
> lea 0x8(%esp),%edi
> and $0xfffffff0,%esp
> pushl -0x4(%edi)
> push %ebp
> mov %esp,%ebp
> call mcount

That's some crazy sh*t anyway, since we don't _want_ the stack to be
16-byte aligned in the kernel. We do

KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(call cc-option,-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2)

why is that not working?

So this looks like a gcc bug, plain and simple.

> This modification leads to a hard to solve problem in the kernel
> function graph tracer which assumes that the stack looks like:
>
> return address
> saved ebp

Umm. But it still does, doesn't it? That

pushl -0x4(%edi)
push %ebp

should do it - the "-0x4(%edi)" thing seems to be trying to reload the
return address. No?

Maybe I misread the code - but regardless, it does look like a gcc code
generation bug if only because we really don't want a 16-byte aligned
stack anyway, and have asked for it to not be done.

So I agree that gcc shouldn't do that crazy prologue (and certainly _not_
before calling mcount anyway), but I'm not sure I agree with that detail
of your analysis or explanation.

Linus