Re: Linux 2.6.31 - very swap-happy with plenty of free RAM

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Wed Nov 18 2009 - 10:48:19 EST

Hi all,

(please Cc)

Thanks Dan for your email, it was very enlightening!!!

I have seen that post I am replying to:

On Mon, 18 Nov 2009, Dan Merillat wrote:
> 1.7gb of disk cache, 750 meg of free RAM, and it swaps out 300meg in a
> matter of seconds when given access to a swapfile, then thrashes the
> disk like crazy because that RAM was actively in use. From an
> interactivity standpoint the machine is unusable - 1-2 second pauses
> on mouse movement, 10-15 seconds for the window manager to change
> window focus, keypresses take 1-2 seconds to show up, etc. When I
> issue a swapoff it takes 10-15 minutes for it to slowly pull it all
> back in - once it's done I run fine.

And back in the beginning of October I reported something very similar:

On Mo, 05 Okt 2009, preining wrote:
> I am experiencing IO stalls of real serious dimensions. I mean up to 20secs
> waiting for some operations.
>
> That normally happeny when I do a svn up on a big subversion repository,
> but even on other locations.
>
> Yesterday a simple sync took 30sec although I was not doing anything else.

So what normally trashed my system to a quasi halt I tried after a swapoff -a,
*two* svn up of really big repositories (some Gb), plus starting
VirtualBox Windows XP with 1Gb virtual RAM on a 2Gb machine.

And see hoho, no problem at all. Everything remains responsive and happy.
The memory was never above 60% in use, but 40% in cache, and all
without any problems.

So that seems to be a real bug.

I am running currently 2.6.32-rc7, but experienced that already in the
31-rc version. Hard to pinpoint exactely where it happens.

If I can run some patches *please* let me know.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology preining@xxxxxxxxxxx
Vienna University of Technology preining@xxxxxxxx
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force) preining@xxxxxxxxxx