Problem with MDI/MDI-X auto-switching in E100 driver

From: Eugene T. Bordenkircher
Date: Thu Oct 22 2009 - 11:39:23 EST

Around line 1466 of e100.c (git master) is the following code to turn on MDI/MDI-X auto-switching if it is not already.

} else if ((nic->mac >= mac_82550_D102) || ((nic->flags & ich) &&
(mdio_read(netdev, nic->mii.phy_id, MII_TPISTATUS) & 0x8000) &&
!(nic->eeprom[eeprom_cnfg_mdix] & eeprom_mdix_enabled))) {
/* enable/disable MDI/MDI-X auto-switching. */
mdio_write(netdev, nic->mii.phy_id, MII_NCONFIG,
nic->mii.force_media ? 0 : NCONFIG_AUTO_SWITCH);
}

This code is broken in the case where an 8255x is used without magnetics. Per Intel Application note 435, without the magnetics, auto switching is not possible. The only way to turn this off without driver modifications is to set the force_media flag via ethtool, which has the side effect of turning off all auto-negotiation. This happens to be the case on a product I am currently working on.

It seems a better solution to this is to trust the eeprom's configuration rather than override it. Am I missing something or does this sound reasonable?

Eugene T. Bordenkircher