Re: request_module vs. modprobe blacklist (and security subsystem implications)

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Thu Oct 22 2009 - 01:57:06 EST

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:57:28 am Eric Paris wrote:
> Ah yes, not your fault though :) The problem is that SELinux reports
> these denials and users get scared. We can (and now do) silence all of
> these SELinux caused denials, but now we have no notification if a
> malicious program tried to cause the auto loading of a module.

Well, yes. I think you need to be more careful in your filtering.

If a userspace program tries some security exploit that has been closed, do
you want to warn about it? Because that seems to be the question here.

Why should ssh not load IPv6? Because noone should? Fine, but there's a
difference between "I expect it to do this but I won't let it" and "I don't
expect it to do this".

I think the question is bigger than modprobe.conf vs request_module.

Or am I confused?
Rusty.