Re: sata_via: SError: { UnrecovData Proto TrStaTrns }

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Tue Oct 20 2009 - 12:00:48 EST

Update: I've connected Kingston SSD instead of Transcend's. The same
errors appear, but now there is a lot of them (> 30 instead of maybe 5
per my test with Transcend).

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> These two may be worth playing with, especially latency. Forcing the
> latency on the problem board would be interesting given that it is a DMA
> transfer that is failing.

Changing the latency byte doesn't seem to change anything. OTOH the
VT6421A mini-PCI card is the only PCI device in system (not counting the
on-CPU AHB-PCI bridge). The problem is also present (to a lesser extent)
when I plug it into x86-64 machine (using mini-PCI adapter). The SSD
works fine if connected to motherboard's NVidia MCP55 SATA controller.

I have read the datasheet and tried some changes to PCI registers but it
doesn't fix it.

I'm going to test x86-64 + VT6421A + Kingston SSD combination soon.

Unfortunately I don't have a (mini) PCI analyser... I will look at
REQ/GNT and similar signals on PCI, though.
--
Krzysztof Halasa