Re: [Patch] acerhdf: Return temperature in milidegree

From: Peter Feuerer
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 17:24:47 EST

Hi Andreas,

thank you very much for your brainstorming.

Andreas Mohr writes:

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:21:16AM +0200, Peter Feuerer wrote:

Hi Boris,

what do you think about this patch?

Personally I'm hurting a bit due to the open-coded "* 1000" transition
in all places.

I'd add a helper macro
#define TEMP_DEGREE_TO_SYS(x) ((x) * 1000)
and use that in all places where it matters.

Advantage:
- either no mistyping (10000 instead of 1000) _or_ bug occurring in _all_
places where this macro is used
- easily grepped-for
- easily changed once the system granularity gets updated

I agree with you in these points, but I have also some disadvantages to discuss:

Disadvantages:
- Thinking about the implemenation such a macro would require, users may get confused. They would still set the fanon / fanoff trip points in degree, but when they read documentation or the current temperature, millidegree is used. - I think "TEMP_DEGREE_TO_SYS(59)" in code is not as good readable as "59000"

what about writing something like "59 * 1000" insead of "59000"?

Or something like that:

#define FACTOR_MILLIDEGREE 1000
59 * FACTOR_MILLIDEGREE

this solution has all your listed advantages and eliminates the disadvantages I see in the "TEMP_DEGREE_TO_SYS" solution.

--peter