Re: [RFC Patch] use MTRR for write combining if PAT is not available

From: Thomas Schlichter
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 11:08:10 EST

Jan Beulich wrote:
> >What do you think about these patches?
>
> Functionality-wise this looks fine to me; whether the core sysfs changes
> are acceptable I can't judge, though.

OK, who can? Or shall I simply ask get_maintainer.pl again?

> However, I would recommend folding the last two arguments of
> mtrr_add_unaligned(), i.e. use mtrr_usage != NULL as the increment
> argument passed to mtrr_add().

Good idea, I will do so this evening...

> And patches 5 and 6 would apparently not build right now, as they're
> failing to pass the new 5th argument to mtrr_add_unaligned().

*Grml* you are of course right. But I am not sure if these both patches
are a goot idea at all.

> Also, why do you add x86-specific code to drivers/pci-sysfs.c when the
> function called there (pci_mmap_page_range()) already is arch-specific?
> Moving your addition there would also allow covering the related
> (legacy?) procfs based functionality... pci_release() could also become
> arch-specific, with a fall-back definition to NULL.

You are right, I should do that...

> Additionally, I would suggest making those code portions depend on
> CONFIG_X86_MTRR rather than CONFIG_X86, so that you don't
> needlessly (try to) allocate the mtrr_usage vector.

Good idea, I will do so.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I'll hopefully come up with an
even better version tonight...

Kind regards,
Thomas