Re: Annoying problems with lacie external hd (JMicron 0x2339?)

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 10:39:39 EST

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> A usbmon trace would contain more information.  We could see the exact
> >> sequence of commands and error codes.  I'm not sure it would help solve
> >> anything, though.
> >
> > I followed the tutorial and the resulting log is 73M long. I don't
> > know what I'm looking for, so there it is:
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~felipec/1.mon.out
>
> Can you take a look? Is there anything else I can provide?

Unforunately the usbmon trace isn't much help. It shows several
unrecovered read errors, but you already know that the disk has a bunch
of bad sectors.

Then near the end, for no apparent reason, it shows a failure right in
the middle of a READ command. The computer tried to read 128 sectors;
the drive sent back 48 sectors of data and then stopped responding.
Something in the firmware crashed; my guess is that the bridge chip
failed.

Alan Stern