Re: [Bug #14141] order 2 page allocation failures in iwlagn

From: reinette chatre
Date: Sat Oct 17 2009 - 01:42:43 EST

Hi Frans,

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 12:41 -0700, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 15 October 2009, reinette chatre wrote:
> > > The log file timestamps don't tell much as the logging gets delayed,
> > > so they all end up at the same time. Maybe I should enable the kernel
> > > timestamps so we can see how far apart these failures are.
> >
> > If you can get accurate timing it will be very useful. I am interested
> > to see how quickly it goes from "48 free buffers" to "0 free buffers".
>
> Attached the dmesg for three consecutive test runs (i.e. without
> rebooting). Not that the 2nd one includes only "0 free buffers" messages,
> even though the behavior (point where desktop freezes and music stops)
> looked similar.
>
> Not sure if you can tell all that much from the data.

Prompted by this thread we are in process of moving allocation to paged
skb. This will definitely reduce the allocation size (from order 2 to
order 1) and hopefully help with this problem also. Could you please try
with the attached two patches? They are based on 2.6.32-rc4.

Thank you very much

Reinette