Re: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

From: david
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 13:49:02 EST

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Mike Galbraith wrote:

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 09:52 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

The one thing that I wish we *could* do is make
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO mandatory, or at least making it the strong
default and forcing people to work to turn it off, since the problem
really is with users smart enough to use git, but not quite smart
enough to turn on CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO.

There are also those who use git, but turn CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO off
for a reason, because it just annoys them with zero gain.

I don't do -rcX. I have one tree per installed kernel. When Linus
pulls a release out of the oven, on that day, Makefile becomes rev++ for
a new tree and stays that way until he declares the next one baked. Old
tree stays frozen at rev until it becomes .stable. My repos are always
frozen at where the installed kernel is at, so adding an extra version
is just a work generating irritant.

I'd like having git ID embedded in the kernel for idiot proofing, but I
don't like it polluting my installs, so I live without it.

as I understand it, if you only use the released kernel then CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO will make no difference to you.

the kernel string only changes if you use a non-release kernel.

David Lang