Re: [this_cpu_xx V5 19/19] SLUB: Experimental new fastpath w/ointerrupt disable

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 09:32:51 EST

* Peter Zijlstra (peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 08:46 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * local_irq_restore
> > -> the interrupt line is low. The scheduler won't be called. There is
> > no preempt_check_resched() call.
>
> That would be an issue with all irq disable sections, so I don't think
> this is actually true.

AFAIK, irq disable sections rely on the fact that if you get a timer
interrupt during this section, the timer interrupt line stays triggered
for the duration of the irqoff section. Therefore, when interrupts are
re-enabled, the interrupt kicks in, so does the scheduler.

This is not the case with the preempt/irqoff dance proposed by
Christoph.

> I tried to find the actual code, but frigging paravirt crap obfuscated
> the code enough that I actually gave up.

You're probably looking for:

arch/x86/include/asm/irqflags.h:

static inline void native_irq_enable(void)
{
asm volatile("sti": : :"memory");
}

and

static inline void native_restore_fl(unsigned long flags)
{
asm volatile("push %0 ; popf"
: /* no output */
:"g" (flags)
:"memory", "cc");
}

static inline void raw_local_irq_restore(unsigned long flags)
{
native_restore_fl(flags);
}

Which are as simple as it gets.