Re: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

From: Frans Pop
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 12:37:28 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Your kind of magical thinking leads to _problems_. It's literally been a
> problem that people stop bisecting, because they notice that they start
> testing kernels that have a version number before the release they
> already tested as good. Exactly because of your kind of linear thinking.

I do understand your point, but I'm not sure that it makes sense to take
bisecting as the main criterium here. Bisection will always be confusing
for users the first few times, whatever you put in the Makefile.

IMO it is more relevant that people who build and run pre-rc1 kernels get a
clear distinction by default between their stable kernel and the (highly
unstable) merge window one.
When a user compiles a kernel, the only thing that's relevant is what's in
Makefile *at that time*, not where the branches that are merged in happen
to originate.

Personally I always add a -rc0 in a local commit as soon as I pull any
merge window changes (that commit gets dropped when you release -rc1).
Package versions are derived from git describe.

So I get (examples include local commits):
linux-image-2.6.31_31.g5e9d407_amd64.deb (.31 + 31 local changes)
linux-image-2.6.31.1_31.gb4adf51_amd64.deb
linux-image-2.6.32-rc0_7396-g02b51df_amd64.deb
linux-image-2.6.32-rc1_20.ge8343d5_amd64.deb
linux-image-2.6.32-rc1_154.gb157421_i386.deb
linux-image-2.6.32-rc3_18.g7e921a0_amd64.deb
linux-image-2.6.32-rc3_69.g7146bc5_amd64.deb

Of course this it makes no difference if you use 'make install', but for
other cases I think having -rc0 in mainline first thing in the merge
window would be useful. Especially for users who compile kernels from the
git tarballs during the merge window (and are not aware of localversion).
Of course there are plenty of options to do whatever you want locally, but
why not make it easy?

BTW, I've got a solution for bisection too: the versions in the Makefile
get changed to something constant. And the package version is set equal to
the bisection iteration. This ensures that I know exactly which kernels
were build for the series and that I can always go back to a specific
kernel if I need to retest for some reason.

E.g. (for a bisection covering .30-.31):
linux-image-2.6.31-bisect_1_amd64.deb
linux-image-2.6.31-bisect_2_amd64.deb
linux-image-2.6.31-bisect_3_amd64.deb

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. I use the deb-pkg target to build all my kernels. A wrapper script
takes care of all the stuff mentioned above (and cross-compiling). For me
the clean package management is worth the slight overhead.