Re: userspace firmware loader, vmap, and nommu

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 00:40:02 EST

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 00:25 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> semi-recently (9 Apr 2009), the userspace firmware code was rewritten
> to use vmap(). this causes problems for nommu systems as it isnt
> possible to create a virtually contiguous map with physically
> discontiguous pages.

Oops, sorry.

> the firmware loader used to work before this
> change because it would handle the realloc steps itself (allocate
> larger contiguous memory, copy over older data, release older memory)
> and vmalloc() on nommu is simply kmalloc().
>
> this could be handled transparently on nommu systems by moving this
> scatter gathering of pages into vmap:
> void *vmap(struct page **pages, unsigned int count, unsigned long
> flags, pgprot_t prot)
> {
> unsigned int i;
> void *new_map, *page_data;
>
> new_map = kmalloc(count << PAGE_SHIFT, GFP_KERNEL);
> if (!new_map)
> return NULL;
>
> for (i = 0; i < count; ++i) {
> page_data = kmap(pages[i]);
> memcpy(new_map + (i << PAGE_SHIFT), page_data, PAGE_SIZE);
> kunmap(page_data);
> }
>
> return new_map;

I wouldn't necessarily want to do that for _all_ vmap() calls, but doing
it just for the firmware loader might make some sense. It does mean you
have to have _twice_ as much memory available as the size of the
firmware in question. And you have to have a contiguous chunk even
_after_ allocating it once piecemeal.

> void vunmap(const void *addr)
> {
> kfree(addr);
> }
>
> or we could add nommu-specific code to the firmware loader to not use
> vmap(). how would you like to go David (Howells) ?

Or we could add _generic_ code not to use vmap(). Just teach the users
that you don't get a virtually contiguous blob back from
request_firmware(); you get an array of pages instead.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation