SOLVED [Was: backporting BFS to 2.6.27]

From: Jayson King
Date: Mon Oct 05 2009 - 00:56:02 EST

Jayson King wrote:
The kernel compiles, but it panics:

Kernel alive
Kernel really alive
PANIC: early exception 0e rip 10:ffffffff810ad10b error 0 cr2 18.

There's no stack trace but that address is in __kmalloc.

I enabled earlyprintk=vga in boot options and got a stack trace, which pointed to a kmalloc call in sched_init. It turns out that this is a no-no in 2.6.27 as page_alloc is not set up. Replacing the call with alloc_bootmem instead allows the kernel to boot.

I will wrap up a new patch and post it in a bit.

Jayson