complete IO hang since a few kernel revision

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Sun Oct 04 2009 - 21:18:01 EST

Hi everyone,

(please Cc)

kernel 2.6.31.1, 2.6.31.2rc1, 2.6.31, 2.6.30 (at least)
Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI

I am experiencing IO stalls of real serious dimensions. I mean up to 20secs
waiting for some operations.

That normally happeny when I do a svn up on a big subversion repository,
but even on other locations.

Yesterday a simple sync took 30sec although I was not doing anything else.

I am *quite* sure that it wasn't like that in former kernel revisions, but
I don't have old ones at hand for testing.

Is there something known about a regression in this area?

Sorry for not Cc-ing the right people, didn't know who it could be.

Thanks a lot for any help/remarks/suggestions

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology preining@xxxxxxxxxxx
Vienna University of Technology preining@xxxxxxxx
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force) preining@xxxxxxxxxx